Over winter we have been busy renovating the Lodge, inside and out and it’s looking pretty spectacular! But it also meant I haven’t posted a blog for a few months, so here it is. But as we are now getting busy for our spring and summer period, it’s time to make ice cream!
Today we are going to make Ice-cream. I now stock 2-3 flavours and am working on new ones too.
I have a basic ice cream recipe that I use and just change the flavour. I also make a lemon gelato that is egg-free.
So currently I have:
- Vanilla, using vanilla essence
- Mint choc chip. Using organic mint hydrosol and choc chips
- Rum and raisins. I soak the raisins overnight in rum and also add a tsp to the ingredients below
- 280 mls cream
- 300 mls milk
- 115 grams of castor sugar (half in milk mix and half in the egg mix)
- 1tsp flavour
- 3 egg yolks
- Heat milk, cream, 1/2 sugar, and flavour to 82C
- While this is cooling beat egg yolks and remaining sugar till light and airy
- Add one ladle of warm milk mixture to eggs to “slacken the eggs”
- Add egg mix to the milk mixture
- Heat back to 82C
- Place in a bowl of cold water/ice for 15 minutes then refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours
- Place cold mix in ice cream maker for 20 minutes and ice cream is ready. I believe you can just freeze the mixture but make sure you regularly turn it over while it’s freezing.
Lemon Gelato is very quick and easy and delicious
- 100 mls lemon juice (using our organic lemons from our yard)
- rind of 1 lemon
- 150 grams castor sugar
- 250 mls milk
- 250 mls cream.
- Mix lemon juice, rind, and sugar with a whisk till sugar is completely dissolved
- Add milk and cream and mix well
- Place in ice cream maker for 20 minutes and it’s done!